Monday 1 June 2015

Suffering Part 4; LEJOG

Today heralds the start of my next adventure!  Having just finished a weekend of nights (and I mean JUST), I'm now sat waiting at the train station in Sheffield, ready to travel down to Penzance (and then on to Land's End).  I feel exhausted and a little sick, but suspect this is due to hunger and tiredness so am munching through a cheese toastie as I write.

Over the next seven days I will then be cycling from Land's End to John O'Groats; by myself, unsupported.  I've wanted to cycle LEJOG for a few years now, and when I started planning my year of suffering this seemed like the perfect opportunity!  Unfortunately none of my friends are stupid enough to join me, and my husband has less annual leave than me so has to go to work instead (that makes a change; it's normally me working whilst he's off having a jolly!).  He also hates biking despite suggesting last night that he wanted to join me!  He just doesn't want to have to fend for himself for a week!

Anyway... weeks of planning have gone into my trip, and it's finally here!  B&Bs are booked along the way, food parcels sent to each place, maps planned both on paper & GPS, and my bike Felix has been serviced.  I'm feeling nervous, but ready.  I couldn't have better prepared. 

I'm worried about the long miles, averaging 125 miles a day.  I'll looking forward to the time alone on the road though, a chance to reflect on life.  'Reflection' is a key word in medicine, so when Tom asked me yesterday if I was going to be reflective enough it took me a minute to realise he meant Hi-Vis!

Due to lack of annual leave (well not lack, so much as wanting to also have 2 weeks in the Alps in July, and already having had 2.5weeks in Kenya and 1 week skiing over the last 12 months; I live for my holidays!) I'm on a tight schedule, with only 7 days of riding time.  Having finished night shift today, I'm travelling down on the train today and start riding tomorrow.  I have a gruelling day tomorrow, with 140miles of biking and 10,000ft of ascent to content with before I arrive at my first stop.  After day 1 my mileage drops a bit thankfully, averaging 120-125miles a day, except for the last day when I will ride 125miles to John O Groats, then have 15 miles back to Wick before catching the train home the next morning.

Felix has spent the night in the doctor's office on HDU, and is now raring to go!!  I'm riding with just a handle-bar bag, so am quite restricted in what I can carry; keep it simple/fast-and-lite!  Thankfully the lady I am staying with tonight has kindly agreed to post a few things home, so I do have a few comforts for the train ride down.  On my return train ride I won't be so lucky, and will be stinking after 7 days of riding... I pity anyone with a seat next to me.

A brief overview of what my journey will entail:
Day 0 (today); trains down to Penzance, then a taxi to Land's End (I would have biked but being post-nights seems like a good excuse!!)
Day 1; bike Land's End to Tiverton
Day 2; bike Tiverton to Ledbury
Day 3; bike Ledbury to Wigan
Day 4; bike Wigan to Ecclefechan
Day 5; bike Ecclefechan to Perth
Day 6; bike Perth to Inverness
Day 7; bike Inverness to John O Groats (then back to Wick)
Day 8; trains back to Sheffield.

The negative of a tight schedule means sticking to bigger roads.  The A30 in Cornwall is notorious for cyclists being knocked off (I hope my Mum reads this AFTER I've arrived in Tiverton...); and it's actually the first single carriageway bit which is the worst.  I've been feeling quite morbid, and worrying about being knocked off and killed.  It's ok, I have life insurance, and Tom knows what funeral plans I want (no black clothes, lots of gin).  In the outdoor world it's not uncommon to know someone who has died in an accident.  I think talking about dying is a bit of a taboo in our society.  I'm glad I know what I want, and that Tom knows too.  But positive thinking, I will be very visible and starting early to avoid the worst of the traffic on the A30.

As I keep mentioning (sorry!), I'm raising money for Orchid, a male cancer charity; my jersey says 'Ride with Balls' on the back.  Maybe it should say 'Ride with or without balls!' though!  You can sponsor my suffering at here at virginmoneygiving and any messages of support/ encouragement/ abuse would be appreciated (well not the abuse, but it might make me smile!).

Felix & myself, before starting nightshift.

No comments:

Post a Comment