Monday 8 June 2015

Day 7; Inverness to Helmsdale (because I failed)

a quick update to stop anyone worrying that I haven't arrived anywhere.  I was due to bike 125 miles from Inverness to John O Groats today.    I had a rough nights sleep last night, with diarrhoea every half hour and sweating profusely.

This morning I got up, took Imodium, paracetamol and ibuprofen and set off feeling worse for wear.  I set off anyway, but was struggling, alternating between hot sweats and shivering, feeling like crap.  Before too long the vomiting started as well.  I made it to 70 miles and pulled over into a cafe, feeling shocking.  Struggling to eat and drink I dot think I had it in me to do another 55 miles.  InsteD I sat crying and sufferings, trying but failing to eat.

The cafe owner (Thyme & Plaice in Helmsdale) was amazing, encouraging me, getting me multiple drinks, putting different food in front of me to see if I could eat anything.  I made a tough decision not to keep going.  It would have been stupid to try and ride another 55miles without food or drink.  The owner recommended a B&B to me, then dropped me and my bike off there, refusing my to let me pay for anything.  What a kind soul!!

I've been in bed since about 4.30, and haven't managed to eat anything, despite being brought toast by the lovely B&B owner.  I would like to try and finish then ride tomorrow but suspect I won't be up to it unless I miraculously get better overnight.  I've come so far, and feel so disappointed to have failed so close to the end, but 55 miles is a long way to ride when feeling this rough.  I want to get home in one piece, not end up in hospital.

Sorry for failing and letting people down. I really did try my hardest.

No comments:

Post a Comment