Thursday 4 June 2015

LEJOG Day 3; Ledbury to Wigan

Well, it's been another tough day on the bike for me.  I didn't feel particularly at ease where I was staying last night and was eager to get on my way.  I left Ledbury just before 8 in the morning.  My tired legs were greeted by hills, just what I wanted!!  I had known this was coming though; it's the bit on the map where it says 'Shropshire hills' that gave it away!

The first 2 hours of riding were tough.  My legs just wouldn't seem to get going and I was having to push to do 15mph rather than the previous cruising.  I stopped for a second breakfast in Ludlow.  If nothing else, my legs needed a rest anyway, despite having only done 30 miles.  I'd woken up with a right-sided headache which if anything was getting worse.  This is how my migraines tend to start.  I have migraine tablets (triptans) which are great, but do give me really bad myalgia (muscle pains).  On a normal day I can put up with the pain for the hour or two that it lasts as it beats spending all day with a migraine.  But when I'm exercising it's a tough call.  With already sore legs, I wasn't sure I could take more pain...  But my headache was not getting better and i didn't think I could face 8 more hours on the bike with a migraine so I took a tablet.  Within an hour head was perfect although legs were bloody sore!!

I struggled through and over the hills, up to Church Stretton, then was treated to 10 fast, flat or downhill miles into Shrewsbury (now at 60milss).  My legs were easing so I kept going, and stopped for lunch just below Whitchurch at 80miles in a nice garden centre.

I spent most of the day on the A49, which on a whole is good and not too busy.  Although I did have one near miss when a lorry ran me off the road,  I like to think I'm a considerate rider and will pull over/slow down and wave lorries past.  I was not impressed!

The A49 is mostly surrounded by lovely countryside.  I was quite impressed with a field full of cows with a young calf hiding in the buttercups!  After Whitchurch things became more industrial as I flew over motorways (M56, M62, M6) and weaved through rush hour traffic in Warrington.  From Warrington I turned the maps function on on my garmin (Edge 500) but I find it so frustrating to use!  Fortunately I only went wrong once and made it to my room for the night just after 6pm; above a pub in a rough area of Wigan...  I'm glad of the peace and quiet this evening though, compared with being interrogated (sorry, I mean politely questioned) by the lady whose house I stayed in last night whilst I tried to eat my dinner.

Today was hard, it's been really tough.  Certainly until 60miles in I felt quite lonely, and in a lot of pain.  Thankfully my legs did ease, but also I had a couple of texts that cheered me up; encouragement from my friend Mel, and then a text to say that my friend Mark could join me to bike from Perth to Inverness on Sunday!!  Obviously he picked the shortest day at only 115 miles, but I can't wait to ride together!  Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the solitude, really, I am!  But it is hard when your legs hurt to keep spinning (and it's only day 3).

My solution today was to start singing, but I forget words so it was mostly just choruses; think spice girls, Frozen, B*witched, ABBA, the Beatles etc.  what I should have done is printed out song lyrics to put in my map case instead (I mean who needs maps anyway, I've got a Garmin with maps right???).

Tomorrow I'm in for a treat.  Firstly the bad kind of treat with what is supposedly one of the worst bits of LEJOG; the long hard slog uphill from Kendal to Shap.  But after Shap I do get a long downhill, and will be stopping at Hackthorpe to change a few clothes, eat a bit of food and pick up my father-in-law from his work as he plans to ride with me up to Carlisle.  I'll then continue up to Ecclefechan where I'll spend the night in another B&B.  This time there are no cooking facilities so I also get my first dinner out, and will be meeting an old uni friend for food in the local pub.  A day of company tomorrow which I'm looking forward it!

Felix is doing well and has found a new role in my life as a clothes horse!  I've washed all my cycle stuff in the machine so it smells lovely and is hanging up to dry draped over Felix.

If anyone wants to send me texts/Facebook messages of encouragement (or abuse as long as it makes me smile) whilst I'm riding that would be appreciated as the mileage is taking it's toll on my legs, but positive thoughts do help!!  Also, song requests are welcome!  I promise to sing your song at a loud volume as I head north on the A6 (if I know it...).

And one more thing to finish with; check your balls!  Since I'm raising money for Orchid, a male cancer charity hehehe.  My jersey says 'ride with balls', but I wish it also said that!

Www.virginmoneygiving.com/nikkisommers

Today's stats come in at:
Distance; 127.66miles (just beating day 1 to become the longest day yet)
Ride time; 8hrs 34mins
Av speed; 14.9mph (also the slowest day yet...)
Ascent; 1339m

As I said before, will all be uploaded to Strava when I get home...

No comments:

Post a Comment