Friday 5 June 2015

LEJOG Day 4; Wigan to Ecclefechan

'There is more in us than we know.  If we can be made to see it, perhaps for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less.'

Today has been another tough one, clocking in at over 127miles.  Thankfully I've had company in parts to ease me through!

I left Wigan early, at 7.15am, to try and miss some of the rush hour traffic as I had to head through Wigan and Preston in the first 20 miles.  I weaved my way north out of Wigan, up into Ironman UK territory, crossing the bike course twice and even riding along a bit of it for a mile or two.  I was glad not to be doing sheephill climb this year though!  I kept on the A49 up to Preston then had a dilemma; straight through on the A6 (big and busy road) or around the side on a B road.  I opted to go round, and eventually found my way onto the A6 on the North side of the city.

Now one of the problems I am finding is with toilets!!  I'm quite happy to pee in a field if there is one, but can't in a city!  In Preston I asked in a petrol station but nope, no toilet, try the garden centre back down the road (yep, the one that is closed at 8 in the morning right??).  Well anyway,  as I wound around Preston, I saw a mechanics that was open and took a chance.  The kind young guy let me use the loo, thank you!!

After Preston it was on to the A6 which I then followed for most of the day.  My legs felt better today until about mile 30.  I had planned to stop for lunch in Kendal (at 65miles) with Mel, my mother-in-law, so pushed on, to my legs detriment and felt terrible by the time I got there.  Between Carnforth and Kendal again there are two options; either the A6 or the A6070.  I remember when plotting on my garmin that one of these is much hillier than the other.  I couldn't remember which, so took the A6070 as I'd highlighted it on the map.  It felt hilly!!  My legs were sore, and I was now running on empty.  I had a little cry as I kept peddling (well stopping to cry wouldn't help!!) and pushed on to Kendal.

By the way; singing;  I sang sound of music for my mum, and tried a bit of prodigy for Jo; that didn't work so well!

In Kendal I stopped for lunch at the morrisons cafe with Mel.  An enforced half hour break given the slow service, but my legs needed it!  I ate parts of a big breakfast, but couldn't stomach much.  I knew I needed calories though as I still had a way to go before my bed.

After Kendal there is a big climb up and over Shap summit.  I wasn't looking forward to this, aware of how bad my legs were feeling.  Actually though, I surprised myself and made it from Kendal to Hackthorpe (21 miles) in an hour and a half, way quicker than expected!!  Mel cheered me on from the lay-bys, thank you!!  I had been dreading the Shap climb all morning, but I guess my mind made it more of a monster than it really was.

I don't normally ride with music on, but had decided that perhaps a tune would help me.  I put 'A Thousand Years' by Christina Perry on and set it to play out loud, shoving my phone into my snack pouch (I don't ride with headphones, don't worry!!).  My beautiful, talented bridesmaid Jules sang this at our wedding last year, and this enabled my mind to float off to a happier place whilst my legs kept spinning.  I thought about Jules singing in the church whilst we signed the register, and of all our wonderful friends and family, about what a perfect day we had, and how happy I am being married to Tom!  Maybe this is why Shap seemed so good!

Did you know today is Kurt Hahn's birthday?? Well I didn't either!!  In Hackthorpe I was meeting my father-in-law, Will, at work (Outward Bound).  Will had nipped out to get his bag, but I was greeted by his welcoming colleagues; a room full of people and cake!!  Thankfully they were eating cake to celebrate Kurt Hahn's birthday rather than my arrival, but were all very nice.  It's nice to put faces to names.  I just hope they didn't mind me sat on the floor eating and stinking!!

From Hackthorpe Will joined me, along with Isobel (another OB worker), and we rode together to the north side of Carlisle.  Company was appreciated!  Will's colleagues told me I better make him work hard, but he did very well, especially on fat MTB tyres.   Also (as Isobel reminded me) at least Will was out on his bike!

North of Carlisle (after a quick wave and toilet stop with Nicky, Will's partner) and I was back on my way, solo again.  It was a shame to say bye.

I followed a minor road and then the B7076 up into Scotland.  My legs felt surprisingly good to say I was at 110miles.  It didn't last.  After Gretna I was really beginning to flag.  I shouted encouragement at myself, and got moving, arriving into Ecclefechan at 6.30pm.

Since then I've had a bath in a tiny bathtub (I gave up and had a shower, it was too short), inspected my rather sore bottom (the verdict; not good!), and been out to dinner with an old uni friend Emma.  It's been great to catch up and the pie was yum.

Now I'm shattered and ready for bed.  I feel really lucky to have such a great husband and amazing in-laws!  (Mum and Dad don't worry, you've got good excuses, you are both out of the country!)

Tomorrow my little notebook tells me I have 122 miles of hilly suffering.  I will be heading up the B7076 before heading across to Lanark, then to Edinburgh, then up north to Perth.  It certainly isn't getting any easier!!

Today's stats:
Distance; 127.06miles
Ride time; 8hr51mins
Ascent; 1583m
Av speed; 14.3mph (slowing down)

Keep the messages of support going, I really do appreciate them when I'm struggling along!

And a reminder of my charity page as I'm raising money for Orchid, a male cancer charity; www.virginmoneygiving.com/nikkisommers thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment