Wednesday 10 June 2015

LE to almost JOG; my journey

Suffering
The state of undergoing pain, distress or hardship

It seems like now would be an appropriate time to remind myself of the above definition.  I have certainly done my fair share of suffering over the last week!

There's that old saying 'It's not about the destination, it's about the journey' that rings true for me this week.  It also makes it easier for me to deal with not making those final 55 miles (although I do still want to cry when I think about how close I got).

Its been a tough week, tougher than I expected.  I suppose it wouldn't be a year of suffering otherwise, would it??

I'm sure if I hadn't picked up a bug then I would have slowly reached JOG on my last day.  I really am gutted to have come so far (820miles), and to fail so close to the end (55 miles to go).  It's not surprising that I became ill, the body can only take so much suffering before it says 'no!  Stop it!  I've had enough'  and I guess for me, my body reached it's limit and broke.  That's certainly how I felt when I arrived in Helmsdale on Monday afternoon with tears streaming down my face; well and truely broken!

I think I underestimated the scale and seriousness of the challenge I set myself, to ride 125 miles a day, for 7 days in a row.  Well, I'd wanted to ride LEJOG, and that was the timescale I had to fit it in to.  Other people could do it in 7 days, so well, why couldn't I??  And unsupported?  I didn't have another option, so that would do!  Solo?  Who else was mad enough to join me?? (Although I aprreciate that I wasn't completely solo as I had company for a couple of hours on day 4 and for all of day 6).  It was only when Mark told me (during day 6) that he was surprised when I said I was doing it over 7 days that I think I started to realise that maybe I was doing a bit more than just going for a long bike ride!

It has been a whirlwind of emotions.  Happiness and elation at arriving at my destination each night.  Joy at being outside, surrounded by the countryside. Gratitude at the support and generosity of all my friends and family (I'll come back to this point!).  Pain in my legs every day from day 2, and in my bottom (which actually got better as the week went on; good shorts!).  Loneliness, made worse when I was in pain.  Longing to be back in Sheffield with my beautiful husband in our comfy bed.  I could go on!  I've been up and down, multiple times a day, grinning from cheek to cheek, then bawling my eyes out and shouting at my legs and body in pain and frustration!

It has been a truely incredible journey!!  In places I wish I had had more time to enjoy the ride and the scenery.  Ive been longing all week to go for a swim (something I did during my tour to Ireland last year, but i was riding much shorter days), but just haven't had the time to stop.  But it would have been a different journey if i'd done it over more than 7 days.  I have hurt, and cried, and screamed, but I have enjoyed every little bit of it!!

The people I have met along the way have been fantastic!  My hosts each night have been wonderful and accommodating.  Rob, the guy from 'Thyme & Plaice' in Helmsdale was my saviour!  He really was incredible!

And you guys!  You have been totally awesome as well!  It can get very lonely cycling for so many miles by yourself.  But having texts and facebook messages with words of support in my back pocket every time I stopped has really helped!  I could not have gotten as far as I did without everyone behind me at home!

Everyone has all been so generous!  Thank you!  You all know by now that I'm raising money for Orchid, a male cancer charity, as my Dad had testicular cancer last year.  (You can read a bit more about it in my first blog post here; an introduction to suffering)  I really appreciate all the sponsorship that everyone has given me.  I also completely understand that at some points we don't always have as much money and can't afford to sponsor each other; but that doesn't matter!  You words of encouragement have helped me regardless of your money!!!

I've sang my way up the country, starting with crap such as the Spice Girls and Frozen, and progressing on to the excellent Wombles and the Proclaimers!  At one point whilst riding up a hill somewhere on day 6 I started singing Frozen and Mark sped off to spite me!!  Fortunately the head wind as we went over the pass of Drumochter meant he couldn'h hear my singing so I sang 'Goodbye' by the Spice Girls on repeat!!

I've seen so many beautiful places.  Fields full of long grass, and buttercups, and calves, and lambs!  Lots of wonderful birds that I can't begin to identify (but I know that Will would be able to; I need lessons please!)

I've experienced a host of different weather conditions (tail winds, head winds, no winds, sunshine, rain, cloud), but fortunately avoided snow and ice!

It's nice to be home again, back in my big bed with my husband.  I want to write and write and write all about my adventure, because there's so many things I want to say and share, although I suspect it will turn into rambling if I go on any further!

I'm recovering; my diarrhoea has abated finally, I've had hours and hours of sleep, and suspect I'm well enough to be back to work tomorrow (expect I forgot to check if my list starts at 10am or 8.30am, so I'll be heading in at 7.30am anyway, nevermind!).  I've been for a relaxing recovery massage with Kate Sheridan, who kindly charged me half price for my massage, so that's yet more money in the charity pot; thank you!!  My body feels better than expected, and already I am missing being on Felix!  I think I'll drive to work tomorrow, have an extra day of rest, then hop back on him on Friday!

Only a week and a half until my next challenge then!  Where I will be trying to Everest Froggatt Hill climb.  I'll post more details next week about this or you can read more on the facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/events/844108868957676/).  If you are free to come and ride for an hour or two with me (esp overnight/ the next morning) or just want to come for a drink inthe pub and to cheer me on that would be appreciated!!!

Until then, I just want to finish by saying what an incredible week I've had, and thank you to all of you who have supported me, either by sponsoring me, or texting or commenting on facebook!  Really, a massive thank you!  I could not have got as far as I did without your help!

One more thing (sorry!); I'm planning to go back up to Scotland and ride Day 7 in one go when I next have some annual leave (after my Swim-Run race, another of my challenges!) in September.  My husband has also pinky promised to ride LEJOG with me on a tandem in 2017 (2016 has too many other adventures on the cards already!); so I will get another chance to finish the journey in one go, this time with some awesome company!  Tom also knows the words to Frozen, so I'll sure we will have an equally great ride!

Thank you again so much for all your support!

www.virginmoneygiving.com/nikkisommers

Day 0; Felix ready to board the train at Sheffield

Day 1; Felix ready to go at Land's End

Day 1; 6am, waterproof on at Land's End

Day 2; about to leave my B&B in Tiverton

Day 3; end of the day in Wigan; a new use for Felix as a clothes horse!

Day 4; 7am, on the wall on my bedroom; it was a lie!

Day 4; afternoon; time for food at Outward Bound Hackthorpe (they don't have chairs here!)

Day 4; my father-in-law joining me to ride!  The legend that is Will Ripley!

Day 5; my first view of the bridges in Edinburgh (pic doesn't do it justice!)

Day 6; about to set off from Perth with Mark

Day 6; 'It's all good roads' he said!  Mark carrying his bike over mud on a non-tarmac-ed lane!
Arriving back into Sheffield; my new t-shirt, and my favourite teddy Hugo!

No comments:

Post a Comment