Tuesday 17 November 2015

The Thames Path Day 4; not so successful...

After a good night's sleep in our B&B it was an early start for breakfast (followed by a quick nap whilst breakfast went down).  We headed out into Goring to a grey day and made our way to the Thames.  After heavy rain overnight we faced waterlogged paths that had already been muddy but were now much worse.

Things started off steady, and my legs seemed to be working ok.  My arches eased and right Achilles pain settled after a bit of stretching. The miles ticked away nicely until Reading at about 9 miles.  From then on things seemed to get worse, and I was really struggling with my left calf.  

We stopped to refuel in Reading, before continuing onwards.  The rest didn't help, and at 13 miles I decided to call it a day.  My run was barely a shuffle and the pain was enough to make me feel sick.  Bee continued onwards, but I hoped on a bus towards High Wycombe, our bed for the night with Bee's relatives.  Bee did great in muddy conditions and rain, making it to Hurley in good time.

We've had a lovely dinner and now I need to do some stretches and see how I feel about continuing in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment