Thursday 12 November 2015

Running The Thames Path; Pleasure or Pain?

It's a grey, drizzly afternoon in Sheffield, and I've climbed back into bed for an unsuccessful afternoon nap.  It's been another tiring week at work, with seven 10-hour late shifts in a row.  Finally I am off!  I am exhausted!

In two days time (well actually one-and-a-half) I'll be heading down to Kemble, a small village in the Cotswolds, to start yet another of my foolish challenges!  Fortunately I have today and tomorrow to rest, and organise a few final bits and pieces.    Hopefully I won't be too tired!

I'm now off for a whole week from work.  I had intended to go and do some relaxing cycling somewhere warm.  But Tall Mark found out that he had to go to the Falklands and couldn't come anymore, and Clare then realised she should probably use her annual leave to go away with her boyfriend (pfft!).  So during a set of A&E nights in August I was looking at different ideas, and chatting to 2 nurses (Pippa and Bee) who are both big runners.  Well it's fair to say running is definitely my weakness in triathlon!  What better way to improve than spend a week running!

After looking at various options, I decided I'd run the Thames Path.  Its 184 miles long, so approximately 7 marathons in 7 days.  Yes it's flat, yes it will not be as interesting as Scotland, but it's November!  Really???  Scotland in November!!!  Have you seen the weather forecast??

Well in fact I have seen the weather forecast, and am all too aware of the fast approaching 'Storm Abigail'.  It's been a mild autumn so far, but it looks like I'll be in for a damp week!

I will be running from Kemble, the source of the Thames, all the way to London, finishing at the Thames Barrier.  I returned to work with my grand idea and a map purchased from a local outdoor shop in a state of night-shift delirium; that was me committed!!  I told Pippa and Bee about my big plan, and was very surprised when they said they would like to come too!  So no more solo-suffering for me!  I've got company!  Pippa will be joining me for day 1 through to 3, and then also coming back to run day 7.  As Pippa leaves, Bee appears to keep me company for the rest of the journey all the way to London.  Duncan (one of my seniors at work) is also making a guest appearance on day 2 as well!

A diagrammatic representation of our week... how hard could it be?? ;)

I'm not sure what to expect with the running.  I know I can keep going when I hurt; I've done that enough times this year already.  Multiple marathons though?  I don't know how my body (my knees in particular) will cope... but I have ibuprofen tablets and gel ready to go.

I'm pretty much sorted now, I just need to pack my bag.  I've written, and then re-written a kit list, and have even practise-packed with Bee!  Here's hoping the weather turns out better than it looks, and our tired bodies can just keep on running!  I'm looking forward to a gin & tonic on the train home next Friday.

I'll be running in my Orchid vest again, hoping to raise a bit more money for Orchid.  Thanks to everyone who has already sponsored me; so far I've raised a massive £2,369!  But I'd love to reach £3000, so please help if you can!  Orchid are a male cancer charity, who aim to raise awareness of, support people with, and carry out research about male cancers; testicular, penile and prostate.

This time last year my Dad was undergoing chemotherapy for metastatic testicular cancer.  He had his last chemotherapy treatment on Christmas eve, and looked rough over Christmas.  It was good news in January when he got the all clear!  In a month's time we go back to hospital to find out the results of his annual CT scan, to check that things are still ok.  As a medic, and as a worried daughter, I'm obviously anxious about this, but hopefully everything will be fine.  

In the meantime, if you want to help make my suffering more worthwhile, and help support Orchid's awesome work, you can sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/nikkisommers.  Thank you!

Dad & myself at the end of Cotswold 226

No comments:

Post a Comment