Sunday 15 November 2015

The Thames Path Day 2; How far???

It's been another tough day along the Thames today.  Day 2... Of 7; it's going to be a long week!!!

This morning started with a good breakfast on our hotel in Lechlade.  Then Duncan, one of my regs, turned up for the day ready to get running.  After going over the map with him and explaining that whilst we were staying in Eynsham, I'd messed the mileage, so we were going to keep going to Oxford (31 miles instead of 25...) and then catch a bus back to our hotel, we got started with a creak or two!

We headed out into the wind, and fortunately had it strongly behind us!  That was a relief!  With dry trainers (that I washed in the shower the night before), we were off!

Thankfully today the rain has stayed away.  We managed to have dry feet all day long despite impressive amounts of slipping and sliding along.  I had hoped Duncan would impress us with his musical prowess (I've heard excellent Disney renditions at work).  Sadly he was too busy trying to run and breath so I broke up into song with a bit of Elton John (yes, I am that cool!)

The miles ticked by comfortably once our aches had eased away and we stopped for lunch at Newbridge, 16 miles into the journey.  In fact Newbridge is the oldest bridge over the river and has some historical importance too; some battle or another fought here many many years ago.

After a sandwich and a drink we were back on our way.  I seemed to have found a new burst of energy and skipped through the fields for a moment or two ("who gave her lemonade??" they said...).  Disappointingly it didn't last long. By the time we reached Eynsham lock at 24 miles (where our day should have ended) my legs were feeling the pain.  Another 5 miles to Oxford had me shuffling in a pretend run (quite similar to my ironman run), before switching to a power walk for the last couple of miles.  A quick call to the husband; my legs hurt; why am I doing this?; I could have had a week off at home with you.  He laughed.

I was relieved to make it to Oxford at 29 miles (rather than the 31 miles on the map; unsure if this is because map distances are inaccurate or because of Pippa's incredible corner-cutting skills; the former I think).  We picked up snacks for tomorrow before hopping on a bus back to Eynsham, to our beds for the night.

I've showered and had a soak in the bath.  Now it's almost time for tea!

So today's thoughts from running...  It hurts!  Why am I actually doing this?  It seemed like a good idea on a night shift.  But then it wouldn't be suffering and worth you sponsoring me if it was easy would it??  Realistically I knew it would be tough, but I like tough.  I like suffering and seeing how far I can push my body.  I don't want to sit around for a week off.  I want to get outside and push myself further and further, away from work, emptying my mind.  I want to live for now.  I can switch off from life for a while, concentrating on the next few metres of ground in front of me, where to put my feet to avoid nettles or brambles or slipping in the mud.

Anyway, that's enough of that for now!  It's time to eat, then sleep!

Tomorrow is another long day at 29 miles (after catching a bus back to where we finished today).  We'll be heading to Goring-on-Thames, at which point I'll say goodbye to Pippa and Bee will join me ready for the next four days.  I've already pre-warned her that I'll be slow!

Just a little reminder that I'm raising money for Orchid, a male cancer charity.  I know it's an expensive time of year with Christmas fast approaching (feels smug inside; shopping all done!) but if you have a pound or two to spare I'd love it if you could sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/nikkisommers to help me get that bit closer to my target of £3000.  Thanks to everyone who already has!

No comments:

Post a Comment