Thursday 10 September 2015

Unfinished Business; LEJOG Day 7; Inverness to John o' Groats

After failing so close to the end during my LEJOG attempt earlier in the year, I knew I had to come back and finish what I had started!  In June I became unwell on my final day, managing only 70 miles from Inverness, before having to end my journey early in Helmsdale, only 51 miles from the end.  As soon as I got my rota (with it's fixed annual leave), I started planning a trip back up north.

After a night in Helmsdale with Jan and Barry (the lovely B&B owners who looked after me when I was unwell in June), I had a day of logistics, taking my car up to Thurso* before getting a train back to Inverness.  Sunday night, 3 months after my previous stay, and I found myself back at Inverness youth hostel.  Fortunately I was feeling somewhat better than last time!  I met Mark and Bella to go out for dinner again (as I had done in Perth), but this time we avoided an Indian, and went for Italian instead.  I didn't dare risk another bout of D&V!

Since my LEJOG trip, I now have a new bike; Theodore; a custom built steel-framed beast!  He is a stunner!!  Felix has taken a fair hammering over the last few years, and with multiple bolt-holes failing, I felt I could finally justify a new stead (don't worry, Felix hasn't been retired, he is still being used for commuting!).

Introducing Theodore...

An early alarm (5.50am!!) on Monday morning saw me climb out of bed, scoff some porridge, and roll out of the door by 6.30am.  So began my journey north.  The miles rolled away easily as I watched the sun come up.  It was a stunning day as I followed the A9 north surrounded by beautiful scenery.  (Forecast black clouds and a strong head wind!)   To an extent I remembered the roads as far as Helmsdale, although any hills seemed much easier this time!  After a quick toilet and bottle refill in Goldspie I arrived in Helmsdale at 11am, ahead of schedule and pleased with my speed. The roads had initially been busy (well, it was a Monday morning before 9am; to be expected), but they soon quietened down.

Dawn start in Inverness

In Helmsdale I headed to Thyme and Plaice.  This is the cafe where my journey ended last time; I was in tears and absolutely broken!  Rob, the kind cafe owner, had tried to feed me, then recommended a B&B, and driven myself and Felix up the hill to said B&B.  The cafe was closed today, but being the super kind Yorkshire man that he is, Rob came to meet me anyway and make me some lunch.  "Bloody Doctors, they're always early" he said!  Perhaps the Scottish NHS is better than in England??

I was on my way again by 12 o'clock, with 50-55 miles to go (depending on which signpost you used!), and the real hills started!!  I climbed up out of Helmsdale, stopping to remove a layer, before eventually whizzing down into Berriedale.  Of course this is followed by a big up (with hair-pins and everything!!!).  It was stunning!  Retrospectively, there was no way I would have gotten up here last time around.

Up until Helmsdale I had been fortunately sheltered from the forecast Northerly winds, but as I progressed further north they began to rear their ugly head!  Leaving Wick with about 20 miles to go, I really felt their force, and my speed definitely slowed (but not too surprising given I was past 100 miles already for the day).  I had generally not been paying too much attention to the ascent profiles of each day of LEJOG, but had been forewarned about the final hill before JOG.  It isn't steep, but man is it a slog!!

Coming over that final summit, and seeing John o'Groats in the distance was emotional to say the least.  I spent most of the day smiling, really enjoying the ride (even in the head wind).  Speeding off downhill towards John o'Groats I had tears in my eyes.  Reaching the end meant a lot to me.

YES!!!

Big grins :)
Setting off 3 months previously, to cycle end-to-end in 7 days, I think I had underestimated the seriousness of the challenge I had set myself.  125 miles a day, for 7 days.  It was tougher than I thought!  It was hard to fail last time, but I know I could not have tried any harder or gone any further on that final day.  It is a relief and a joy to have finished the journey finally.  I haven't put it to bed though (so to speak).  As Tom reminded me, I've done the final day on a different bike!  And I haven't done it all in one go.  I'll definitely be back to ride the trip again.  Maybe I'll go solo over 6 days next time.  Or maybe a more leisurely schedule with Tom for company (not on a tandem, sorry!).  This trip helped me to realise what is physically possible.  For me the answer is more than you think!  It also helped me to raise A LOT of money for Orchid, a male cancer charity, as my Dad had testicular cancer last year.  Thank you to everyone to sponsored me; if you haven't yet but do want to you can at www.virginmoneygiving.com/nikkisommers

Now I'm sat in Orkney, drinking a pale ale from the local brewery, after a blustery day on the bike.  Once back to city life I'll blog about my swim run race, and also about exploring Orkney and Hoy.  I'll also add some pictures of Theodore looking good at Inverness and JOG!

Still to come in my 'year of suffering', I'm planning to swim the length of Ullswater (approx 8 miles), and then in my November week off I am hoping to run the Thames path over 7 days (so approximately a marathon a day for 7 days).

*If you wonder whether you have left your car lights on or not, don't reassure yourself that you haven't, go and bloody check!!!  My car is currently parked at Thurso train station with no battery...

No comments:

Post a Comment