Tuesday 26 May 2015

Suffering Part 1; the running

Challenge numbers 1 and 2 for me this year have been running races; a half marathon on Anglesey called 'The Island Race', and then Paris Marathon.

Anyone who knows me will know that I hate running!  I now like to think I have a slightly better relationship with running (although this weekend's triathlon would suggest otherwise...).  As a triathlete, unfortunately running is an important part of racing.  I don't know why they don't just do swim-bike races these days, I mean they do swim-run and bike-run races.  Hmmppfftt!

I made a decision late in 2014 that the only way I was going to improve my running was to train for and race a marathon.  And being my competitive self, I wanted to run a sub-4hr marathon.

This year I am on an anaesthetics and ITU rotation as part of my A&E training.  I miss A&E but I do not miss the rota!  I have had a rota for this job for the whole 12 months right from the start, and only work 1 in 5 weekends; talk about easy!  It's been great to have so many free weekends to have adventures on, and this also explains why the bulk of my challenges are before August (at which point I change rotations back to A&E, work LOTS of weekends and don't yet have the rota for, so am trying to avoid planning my weekends yet to save disappointment!).

So last summer I got my rota and started filling the gaps with holidays, races and other fun adventures!  I looked at a list of marathons and picked Paris; I was off and it is flat; winner!  I then entered the Island Race 6 weeks before as a good training race as well.

Despite doing triathlon, I am shockingly bad at running.  My run training previously has been more ostrich-like; burying my head in the sand and pretending it doesn't exist.  Well things had to change!  I finished my last set of exams in October, and the training began.  I went for a program of 3 runs a week, running a short, fast run, a medium distance, medium paced run, and a long, slower run.  I have actually really enjoyed running!  My mileage built easily until January, when up to about 26km I started to have knee problems, having inflamed my patello-femoral joint from the sudden increase in running (see!  It is bad for you!).  After this I saw a great physio, my knee settled, but my running plateaued off, then went backwards.

The Island Race came around first in March, whilst my knee was settling.  It was a cold, windy day in North Wales, but it always a pleasure to go back, especially since the race starts on the Menai Bridge where my husband proposed to me!  It's a mostly flat course, with a couple of hills hidden in there to surprise you, running around the coast to Beaumaris and back.  Running felt comfortable, my knee held up, and I got around in 1hr51; a half marathon BP for me.  I felt fresh afterwards which was good too.  Thank you to Nicky C who came along too; company on the drive always appreciated!

Paris crept closer, and I was struggling with longer runs.  I managed two more big ones though which felt ok.  I was still hopeful that I might be able to run sub-4hrs, but I just didn't know.  It's hard to judge in your first race I guess!  (I have run a marathon at the end of an ironman but that really doesn't count; it's more of  shuffle than a run!).

Paris arrived; a good excuse to go to a new city (we don't do city breaks normally, we stick to mountains and big open spaces).  It was exciting getting the Eurostar, and we had an apartment close to the Arc d'Triomphe.  Race day arrived, and I headed down to the start with Caitlin (my sister-in-law), plus our family.  It wouldn't be a race without a lack of toilets!  But thanks to a long black bin bag I managed to use a male urinal!  Problem-solved!

Lining up on the start line in my Orchid vest, the anticipation was growing.  I was aiming for sub-4hrs still, but had also been challenged to run sub-3hr50; I should have ignored this!  I eventually got off the start line and got running past the tourist sites of Paris.  The first 10k flew by, legs feeling good (perhaps flew too fast...), the next 10k weren't too bad either!  I was half way about 1hr55-ish I think, still on track.  But then the wheels fell off!  Far too early!  My hamstrings were tight and I was struggling.  Except for a couple of stretch stops, I managed to keep going and got round in 4hrs17.

Paris was disappointing!  A beautiful place to run, but slower than I have hoped.

Everyone who sponsored me or text me; thank you!  Your support made a big difference in helping me get round!

Things that I have learnt:
-Don't set such an ambitious target for your first race; just go and enjoy it!
-Take a black bin bag to the start (thanks for that one Dr Marks!)
-I like running!*
-I actually love running! (I need to say that twice but I do!)

I struggled to run again after Paris; the psychological block from the pain was hard to get over!  But I've been out a few times.  I just need to keep going and keep loving it now (and fit it in around everything else as well!).

*If anyone wants to remind me of this in the future that would be appreciated!

And a reminder that if you want to sponsor me you can do so at www.virginmoneygiving.com/nikkisommers thank you!

Just keep running...


No comments:

Post a Comment